It's that time of year again! The Bill Pickett Invitational Rodeo is on tour and it's time to dust off our chaps! The Bill Pickett invitational Rodeo is a major part of Black history and it is a blessing that they roll through Oakland every year!
Well Rowell Ranch is really in Hayward, but since there are no Rodeo stadiums in Oakland to my knowledge...
Here are 10 of my top survival tips for enjoying the Bill Pickett a Invitational Rodeo!!...be it in Oakland or any of the other cities that it tours in!
1. Wear sunscreen. And bring sunscreen to reapply!
2. Be prepared to get dirty and dusty! So while you want to look fly...remember that you and those clothes are going to be a mess when it's over. So leave the ball gowns at home!
3. Stay off of the fence! Bulls are a comin'. While my family worked the rodeo this year, we definitely remember the year that the bull got out and gave Oakland it's own running of the bulls!
4. Bring plenty of cash, the food, the vendors. Cash also means Cash. As in the green type...there may not be ATM's at your rodeo site! And NO you cannot bring your own food! But the food is so good that you want to taste some of this southern goodness!
5. Bring an umbrella or at least a big hat. The sun can be treacherous. While the sunscreen protects your skin it won't stop the sun from beating down on you!
6. Bring a camera! The environment is so fun and one that most people are not accustomed to so bring a camera phone and a camera! This is the greatest show on dirt and you want good memories!
7. Be patient! There are a lot of people there and the lines for the good food are long!
8. Smile a lot! The men are fine honey and you just might scoop you up a cowboy!
9. Pull your hair back!
While you might want to look glamarama at the rodeo I would encourage you to pull your hair back into a bun or a ponytail to avoid the maximum amount of dirt getting into your hair. But you can enhance your beauty with some hoops or lipgloss!
10. Beware of the pooh! There are horse droppings everywhere and stepping in it could make your day less than enjoyable.
11. Make sure that you wear Rodeo attire! It makes it so much for fun to have on country girl clothes and adorable boots and tight jeans! There is no sagging at the rodeo, because you can't sag and ride!
12. Wear protective shoes! Although it's tempting to want to wear sandals protect your feet and wear cowboy boots, plus it's part of the whole Rodeo Thing!
A side note...because of the dusty nature of the rodeo makeup can get cakey. I personally don't wear so much as lipgloss. It's the rodeo honey!
Do you have any extra tips for Rodeoin'?