I have always loved pageants! I watched them as a little girl...the glamor, the glitz and the fabulousness!!...what's not to LOVE? To Me, Miss Universe was the top pageant of them all...and at that moment the Winner of Miss Universe was the most beautiful girl in the Universe...well at least the world!
As an avid watcher of Reality TV, specifically of Real Housewives of Atlanta, Kenya Moore has quickly become one of the most hated Miss USA's ever and for good reason. She throws her Miss USA Title and Crown around and acts like a fool when somebody confuses her Miss USA title with that of Miss America ... this has been her greatest claim to fame...and Trois of course.
If somebody calls Kenya Moore "Miss America" she gets all up in arms, she won Miss USA in 1993...who can remember the difference its been 20 years??
So I did some research to bring you the goods on the difference between the Miss America and Miss USA contests!
The difference in the two contests are simply that they are different brands with different focuses!
The Miss America Pageant:
- is more of a scholarship pageant for pretty and well groomed girls,
- was founded in 1921
- this contest is the largest distributor of scholarship funds to women pursuing undergraduate and post graduate degrees.
- The Miss America pageant also serves to provide personal and professional opportunities for those girls after they complete their education.
- This pageant also includes talent and focuses on young women's desire to be contributing members of society.
The Miss USA Pageant (the one that Kenya Moore won):
- is a newer contest founded in 1952
- created by Donald Trump and
- its winner goes onto the Miss Universe contest.
- It started out as a promotional tool for the Catalina Swimsuit line. And has been popular ever since.
- This contest is less geared towards education and more focused on glamor, fitness and external beauty than the Miss USA contest.
Some women participate in both Miss America and Miss USA, but they are completely separate contests!
So Why Does Kenya Moore get so Mad?
Well since I did not personally ask her I do not exactly know why she gets her panties in a bunch about people making such an innocent mistake, but I do know that when it comes to real pageantry that the Miss America contest is more respected as an educational and scholarship program. Miss Kenya Moore might have an inferiority complex about the fact that her crown is like the Jr. to Miss America.
Sharelle D. Lowery, Etiquette & Luxury Lifestyle Expert