Travel Hair: This is an article specifically for my ladies who wear extensions, wigs, weaves, clip ins or anything of the like. How do you travel and "give good hair?" I was chatting with a friend of mine about a week before my trip to London.
I was telling him that I would be doing video and that I wanted to get a weave so that my beauty regimen and travel hair would be simpler and so that I could quickly tape when I needed to. He argued me down that I should have natural travel hair because it would be less to fuss with and when you travel the minimal amount of fuss is absolutely desirable.
I gave him the side eye over the phone and commenced to figuring out what color my fave blonde is so that I could keep my Barbie look updated. The color is 613 by the way and ridiculously hard to find!
I would like to plan another international trip within the next 90-120 Days. I will probably decide to wear my natural, big curly mane instead of my weave...well maybe.
Here are a few things that to consider when making the all important decision of your travel hair being wig, weave or natural:
1. Photographs. I know that this may sound a bit silly, but you want to show your photos off for years to come and hair is part of the total package for most of us. While this is listed as number one, its not the most important factor.
2. Ability to maintain your extensions look is also very important. I actually ended up going to the drug store and buying some hair products to take my hair back to its natural state after being weave bound. My weave was literally coming apart at the seams. It went from silky to hot mess.
3. Ease after late nights. When on a vacay you are usually going to have a little more wine than you might normally have. You will probably come in and you could misplace your scarf or hey, "passout."
--->>>If you are wearing a wig, you can throw it off. But if you have a weave, you gotta be at 100. You gotta wrap that up, twist it or follow whatever directions your stylist gave you. You aren't doing ANY of that after 5 drinks and a salsa competition.
Stay Updated on the Lastest on FOOD, WINE, TRAVEL, FASHION & BEAUTY - Tweet with Me! @ClassySharelle
4. Think about the amount of products that you are going to need to bring to maintain your style, how they need to be packed and if you are going to be in a location that will have additional products that you can buy if you need to.
--->>> I was in London looking for natural hair products. I'm sure that there are probably awesome ones in the city. In fact, Im positive of it. But I dont know where they are and I ended up grabbing some products that were NOT my regular products OR cheap. 20 pounds....that day that was about 40 bucks for stuff that I have, but didnt bring with me because I was weaving it up...or so I thought.
Truthfully, I think that a happy medium would be a cute wig that you could put on if you want some diversity, but staying natural most of the time.
5. Will you be swimming? Swimming is a game changer if you are trying to decide on a hair solution. After getting wet....you are not going to be able to master that wave pattern again even with a curly weave....furthermore you wont want to put the effort into that.
I wasted time touching up tracks that I could have spent walking around barefoot in the Grass at Berkeley Square instead of playing with my hair. And I was not even swimming.
The worst part is that everybody kept saying, "I like your REAL hair so much better!"
I even scored a new London Sweets offa that natural travel hair.
I am actually in love with most of my photos, the natrual ones and the Blondie Shots!...and I honestly would not change a thing about my hair experience so that I can share with my Classy Travel Buddies!
Don't Miss Any Of My London Stories & Articles!! CLICK HERE TO GET THEM ALL!!
Do you have any FUN or FUNNY stories about your travel hair on vacay?? Please share them with us in the comments or by emailing me at Sharelle@ClassyBlackGirl.com
Sharelle D. Lowery, Classy.Black.Girl. Delivering You Classy Content Online!