So its no secret I love wine, rich food and I don't get excited when its time to put my running shoes on. Okay, my walking shoes on. Yes, my goal in this article is to get Black Girls Walking! But I do know that as a 35 year old Black Woman, I must exercise. Not only is it important to stay marketable and look good, exercise is also important for my heart health and state of mind. The importance of staying in shape is paramount, not something to be thought about on the sidelines of life. But the question is, how does a regular girl do it? If you are no Kenya Moore, and know that you probably wont ever be, how do you stay looking good?
I have pulled together 10 Tips to get Black Girls Walking:
1. Just Do it. I know that sounds harsh and boring and not like a tip at all but it is. We don't think about going to work, though we may not want to do it, we dont think about taking care of of our children or loved ones, we just do it. So put yourself first for just a few minutes a day and Just Do it.
2. Find a Partner who does not live near you and schedule time to walk for 30 minutes twice a day. Make sure that its somebody that you like talking to, so that you look forward to the social time more than you cringe at the though of exercise.
3. Buy a dog, I know, a dog is more responsibility than just walking them. But if you have a creature that you love that depends on you for everything-including a walk to go to the bathroom OR for exercise. You will take that walk around the block! I have two dogs and I walk them separately so that I can spend quality time with both of them AND get twice as much exercise.
4. take a picture of yourself in your bra and panties. Yeah, get in that mirror with your cell phone and take a REAL picture of yourself in your sexies! Does it look good to you? Because if you are not turned on yourself, then your significant other might not be all that excited about seeing it either. You don't have to be skinny minnie at all, but DO be healthy, in proportion and looking good. Review this picture often and have a goal of a more fit picture in a month.
5. Start off with 10 minutes. If you have not exercised in a while, then you may not be used to opening up those lungs or moving those legs. Don't over-do it when you start. The way to be successful with anything is to be consistent. Its better to do something for 10 minutes a day-every day than 2 hours two time a month. Start off slow, build your stamina and endurance and then increase.
6. Realize that walking is enough. While some people go all crazy in the gym, you dont have to. Exercise is as easy as opening your front door and moving. I know that you are driving here and there and walk very littie. That is why that pouch is killing your center.
7. Think about how marketable you want to remain. If you are married you want to stay sexy to your husband. If you are single and want a husband, being fit allows your pickings to be greater. If you do not want a husband, aint nobody ever complained about a whistle or two. Knowing that somebody else is looking kinda makes you feel good and can remind you to get that big butt offa the couch!
8. Remember your heart. You probably like the rich food and wine, just like me. So you are taking care of your mouth, remember to take care of your heart. She needs you to keep her pumping, moving and healthy. Exercising is the BEST thing that you can do.
9. Want to have a better mental state, MOVE. When I exercise I handle stress better. I actually get more done-even though I am taking more time out of my day, because my body and mind are more effective.
Side Note: Exercising helps me make better eating decisions because I am thinking about carrying all the junk in this trunk up the hill. I will have the protein shake not the milk shake, please.
10. The Most Fabulous First Lady of all time, Michelle Obama tells us ALL to move our bodies. And who is badder than Michelle Obama? I'm taking her advice! She is (age) and she looks amazing. Great arms, wonderful shape and awesome skin. She gets up at 4:30 am every morning because she is dedicated to her body, children, her husband and herself. Why should you be any different?
I hope that these 10 Tips helped you. I am not workout queen, I dont love it, but I DO love myself and I want to live a long, healthy, beautiful life. I do not want to have to take pills for my ailments and I do not want to be a diabetic if I can help it. And since I can, I try to get in 30 a day!
Like Boris Kodjoe said(and it didnt feel good, but it was the truth, "If you can watch Keeping up with the Kardashians Black women can workout."
Keep It Classy Ladies!