Its almost Valentine's Day and I am already feeling that grrrrr in the pit of my stomach as the dreaded V-day encroaches upon us. I bet if you are a single girl you may be feeling it too. So let's get prepped to NOT feel "some kinda way" when February 14th rolls around. It has been said that the emptiness that some single women feel on Valentines Day is similar to how people with no family feel around the Holiday season. Alone, depressed and unloveable. Let us eradicate that feeling, especially among Sistas who already deal with the stigma of being chronically single.
I am challenging you to Love Yourself for Valentine's Day! #iLuvMe
Here are 5 Tips to enjoy every BIT of Valentines Day without the sadness:
1. Start preparing for that day now. Rename it. Call it #iLuvMe Day. This way the day can be about Love.
2. Choose a Non-Romantic Valentine. This may be corny, but just remember that there are other people who may be feeling the way that you do and they would love to have some plans for Valentines Day that do not include sitting at home with ice cream and The Notebook on replay.
Go out and find another person who you can spend time with even if it is not romantic. Reach out to a friend that you have not spoken with in a while. Since you are starting early you have time to send a card or two and make your platonic "Valentine" feel loved!
3. Make plans to do something out side of the house that day. Go somewhere that is not couple focused and make sure that it is something that will get you home late enough to stop you from even thinking about Valentines Day...or #iLuvMe day!
- Try going on Speed Dating
- Find a Meet-Up that is going to help you meet new people
4. Make it a girls night out! You might be thinking that being OUT is the last thing that you want to do! But you will have a blast if you and your girlfriends get dressed up like you are going on a sexy date (because dating yourself is part of helping you to Love Yourself for Valentine's Day) and go to a club and go dancing! There will be plenty of single men there too. I am not suggesting that you hook up with them-at ALL!...but a little fun and flirting never hurt any of us.
5. Spend Kiddie Time. Weather you have your own kids or you have some nieces and nephews or end up being the baby sitter of a couple that wants alone time...kids always make me smile! You can plan out a full night of rice krispie's treats, living room picnics and crafts. Michael's is a great resource for cheap, fun things to do with kiddies you love for special holiday's.
Shopping ahead of time will remind you how special that these children are in your life and that you want to make sure and show them ABSOLUTE LOVE on this day! Planning helps you deal with the day and gives you something to look forward to.
If you are Valentines Day sensitive, do not let this day creep up on you without absolute plans!
If you are single what do you typically do on Valentines Day?